Henry Van Dyke once said "Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. " In this unfathomable network of blogs, ideas and intellectuals, I might be just another tiny speck of dust. But while flexing my brains amidst the heavy books of engineering, science and technology, I do crave for my ideas to be articulated; my thoughts to be delineated. So here's the blogspot rendering me ANOTHER CHANCE............a chance to grow up, a chance to live a new life, a chance to learn and a chance to write.
Introducing myself, I am Avinash Upadhyaya a part-time writer, full-time dreamer and engineering graduate from the Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani (India). I hail from Dhemaji a small remote town in Assam - the north-eastern part of India.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It Happens in India


Three strikingly similar incidents I faced in three different corners of the country - in less than 6 months.

I had accidental rendezvous with a Marathi couple in Bangalore, a Sikkimese Lama in New Delhi and a Tamil Brahmin in Guwahati.

Incident 1
Yesterday. Near Domlur Flyover. Bangalore.

It was almost 5:30 PM. I was returning from my internship work at National Aerospace Laboratories, waiting for a bus to Koramangala. A couple approached me. There was a young child with them. They were decently dressed and didn’t seem to look like beggars.

The Husband (to me): Sir…Hindi..Hindi ?

I replied: Haan, haan. Hindi aati hain. (Yes, I can follow Hindi)

Husband (in Hindi): Sir, we are from Nagpur. We had gone for a pilgrimage to Kanyakumari. Our entire luggage got stolen in Yeshwantpur Railway Station. All the money we had was in one of the stolen bags. So we were left empty-handed.

Wife (in Hindi): We’re not beggars, sir. But our child is very hungry and we don’t have any money to feed him.

I looked at the child. A four-year old boy and he definitely looked hungry.

Incident 2
May 2012. Near Meghdoot Bhawan. Guwahati

I was coming out of Meghdoot Bhawan the largest post-office in Assam when a young man approached me. He was of the same age as me and he indubitably didn’t look like a beggar. He had a long lines of sandal paste on his forehead – a typical Tamil Brahmin.

The young man (to me): Sir…English aata hain? (Sir, do you know English)

Me: Yes.

Young man: Sir, I’m from Tamil Nadu. I am a worker in the NHPC power-plant in the Subansiri river. I was returning from home when my luggage got stolen in the train. I need to reach the place called Gerukamukh in upper Assam but I don’t have a single penny with me. Sir, can you please give me some money. You can give me your bank account number. I will return back the money to you once I reach Gerukamukh. I can’t comprehend the local language here and I am really feeling scared.

Incident 3
March 2012. Near Old Delhi Railway Station. New Delhi.

I had just arrived in Delhi from Pilani for some one-day work. I was heading towards the Chandni Chowk metro station and was talking to a friend on the phone. I was speaking in Assamese. Someone gently pulled me from behind. I turned back to see a Buddhist Lama.

The Lama (to me): Brother, are you an Assamese ?

Me: Yes, I am.

The Lama: I’m from Sikkim. I belong to the Gurkha community.

Me: Well, I can also speak your native language Nepali.

The Lama (in Nepali): Brother, I am in serious trouble. An hour back, I arrived from Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh. And my entire backpack got stolen in the train just before it could reach Delhi. My mobile, ATM card everything was in the backpack. I have a train to New Jalpaiguri tomorrow morning. Can you please give me some money so that I can take an auto and go to my friends’ place in Delhi? You can also give me your account number. I shall return the money to you as soon as I reach Sikkim !!

3 comments:

  1. Argh- definitely creepy. Maybe has some national pattern here. I mean, maybe these things are getting really common. Or were they always? I assume all the cases are genuine, and they have all really lost their money..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did u do? Did u helped them? If yes then how?

    ReplyDelete